Sunday, September 11th, 2011
Last week I traveled on the surface of the moon. Our program took us to the rest of the permanent sites around eastern Oregon. We spent time meeting with all of the administrators and learning a little about the schools. Between sites I rode in awe as we passed by gigantic windmills, huge castle shaped rock formations and the massive winding John Day Canyon. I was reminded of a problem that my friend Wes described to me when we were riding bikes through the Red Woods when attempting to convey the scale of the desert environment: you can’t.
Our boss is a kind young woman about my age with fierce musical skill and a humble and fun loving nature. She took us to a great swimming hole and a hike to the palisades that I won’t soon forget. I was able to go home with a handful of strong smelling sage.
No comments:
Post a Comment